Yarn Whore

because all the other good names were taken

Friday, May 12, 2006

What I did on my summer vacation

Lap wanted to know if I got any knitting done while I was here:



















The answer is yes. Though not actually on the beach, because it was too damn hot and muggy (not to mention buggy). The humidity was causing the cotton to be kind of "fluffy". So I knit in the hotel room. Wanna see? Okay!















Seriously, do you have any idea how freakin' proud of myself I am? After ALL those tries knitting a sock top down? After not finding a yarn I could love (and wash and dry?). Well, that's not true. I know there is a LOT of other wool I love that are for socks, but those are for me. Because I know no one else that I could trust not to throw the merino in the washer and dryer (Laura and Kristen excluded of course)

Wanna see the heel up close? squeeee!
















When I turned the heel I nearly died. It IS simple, and yet so amazing. And I had no one to share it with. I told J*, who was at first rather non plussed, but when he saw how excited I was he played the part very nicely and actually looked at what I had done and was a little amazed. Of course, it does help that he was an actor, so his performace seemed sincere. I love this man.

Of course, he wants a pair of his own (not pink). Did I mention that he wears a size 12 shoe? I also want to knit a pair for my dad. Size 11 1/2 shoe. My brother? One size 10 1/2 and one size 11(just to keep it complicated for me). Why in the hell do the men in my life have such big ass feet? (insert wail here)

At least us chicks have small feet. I wear a 7 1/2, my mom wears a 7, and my sister-in-law wears a 5 1/2 wide. (her little feet are so cute, almost hobbity in their nearly square proportions!)

I also realized that this sock is kinda wide (72 sts) so guess who's getting these when they are done?

Oh! I almost forgot. I got some books in the mail when I was gone:











I love the look of these books. Everything is so clean and precise.

I'll be posting mostly over at Hairburner for the next few days. And the RSS thingy I talk about over there? It works for this too.

Oh, and Kristen? I hope you feel better soon miss. And send me an address will you?

2 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger lap said...

Okay- you are really inspiring me, because in case you didn't know, there's nothing I love more than knee socks.

I'm selfish, and I will knit knee socks for myself.

Because I'm selfish.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Oh wow, that's a beautiful short row heel! I clicked on it for the sock-in-my-face experience, and now I'm in love with that yarn, too.

Address: sent.

And both your blogs are on my yahoo now. Rock!

And those books are on my to-get list, along with the barbara walker treasuries of crap.

My sister has indicated that she wants knee-high socks. Knee-high TOE SOCKS. I know I can make them, I just haven't started thinking about it yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home