Yarn Whore

because all the other good names were taken

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

If I were a gnat I would have swatted me by now

I have no attention span.

No really.

Unbeknownst to me, I signed some sort of stash non-proliferation agreement. I'm not sure with whom, or when, exactly I signed it though I am somehow of the belief that my step-mom secretly flew out here and had me sign while I was in some sort of work induced coma.

I sent her a 35lb box of yarn right before I left for Costa Rica. Thirty. Five. Pounds.

And I am about to send her another box. NOT 35lbs, as I am not sure I even have another 35lbs actually in my stash.

This would, in most cases, mean that I have absolutely nothing to knit.

Do you see anything in my stash to knit?



I call this my cashmerino superchunky phase

See that brown hank? 100% 8 ply cashmere.
Discontinued. You don't want to know what I spent on this yarn. And it was on sale.


Could someone please explain the Bernat baby to me?
I fear this may have been a sweater for an infant that is now 3.


This is where the real stash is. Under the bed. Hidden from prying eyes. Whose?
Oh, I don't know. J* doesn't care about how much yarn I buy.

See what I mean? Absolutely NOTHING to knit.

I am still knitting on the pink sock.




A little ribbing here and there.









But I also started something new. A baby blanket for my cousin. The baby shower is in a week and a half. I was telling my mom that I was making a baby blanket. My mom, who is most definitely NOT a knitter asked me if I would be able to finish it in time. Sheesh!

This is acrylic something or other. You know, because babies are messy. And things need washing.







Knit on 10.5 addi's, yarn doubled because if I had to knit this on a size 6 I would kill myself. As it stands right now I am only thinking about sticking my head in the oven.

I got to thinking about the other projects I have languishing on needles:

Remember this?

Yeah.

Dew cardigan : 8 Wendy: admitting defeat

(that's right. Cast on = EIGHT)



Which is too bad, because this yarn is gorgeous. I'm thinking it's going to be a shawl. An easy shawl.






Actually I learned something interesting in my quest to conquer lace. I am a "combination" knitter. Annie Modesitt has an explanation here . And as such, lace has really sucked for me. I know better now. I've got printouts to help me.


I don't even remember whose little hellion brat tyke was to be the recipient of this eye-stabber. A beautiful merino knit in garter stitch on size 6 needles.

Notice the needles are missing. This piece is now happily frogged (I may have laughed a bit gleefully as I did it) and the balls are on their way to Colorado.


This is a throw I decided to make for J*'s mom for Christmas. I was under the influence of yarn at the time. Notice I didn't say which Christmas.


This?












This is the reason why I curse the manufacturer of the electric yarn ball winder who has decided to not offer them to the American market anymore.


If only I knew some small children looking to make a few bucks.

Okay. I've shown you mine. It's your turn.

(Also? Blogger can SUCK IT right now)

2 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

I don't know if I'm knitting combi or not. I don't think so; I think I'm just continental. Besides, my stitches sit differently on my needles compared to those pictures.

I haven't been knitting at ALL for the past week. It feels like I just quit smoking or drinking or something. Not comfortable at all. The magic medicine is getting dangerously low, however, so I imagine I'll be able to focus my eyes soon.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger warcrygirl said...

Hey! Well, I went ahead and sat down and taught myself to cast on and attempt a feeble looking stockinette stitch. Any suggestions for a newbie on learning to control tension?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home