Yarn Whore

because all the other good names were taken

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hey! I finished something!

The booga bag... she is done.

Here it is in all it's felted glory:



I felted it twice. Three times would probably have been better in terms of stability, but I didn't have enough yarn to do the full 60 rounds called for. So the bag is a bit short. Also, the fulling process did not completely take care of the little gaps in the knitting that the slub yarn created in the thinnest part of the yarn.

So it was an okay project where I used up some yarn that would have never gotten used. This'll be a gift to someone. Lap, gimme your address as I think this would make a lovely purse for a little girl.

That socks! (yuk yuk)

So for a while now I have been trying to knit socks. I bought the tiny tiny needles. I bought books. I bought sock yarn. I've started socks and ripped them out. I've started other socks and they sit languishing on the needles. What IS my problem? I know how to knit, I know how to yarn over, how to make short rows. Yet, I can't seem to "get" sock knitting. I bought more sock yarn, because I'm pretty sure if I find the"perfect" yarn then sock knitting will come to me magically.

Part of the problem (I think) is that starting a sock off by knitting from the cuff down is completely boring. There. I said it. So I tried WendyKnits' generic toe up sock pattern. It's a good pattern ladies. Problem is, I'm not in love with the provisional cast on.

So I went over to Knitty to see if they had anything to help me. They did.

In the new Knitty there's an article called Magic cast on for Toe Up Socks . I haven't knit socks on two circulars (yet) so I did some fiddling with the double pointed needles. Lo and behold:



THAT'S A TOE PEOPLE! It's downright fabulous, if I do say so myself. Now I am excited about knitting socks.

I knit it up with this yarn here (Greenwood Fiberworks handpainted cotton sock yarn with lycra). It's the same yarn that I showed you a photo of in my last post. Doesn't it look pretty all nicely wound on the ball winder?



There is however, something a little disturbing about this yarn. And no it's not the fact that I'm getting 10 sts to the inch instead of the 9 sts it is supposedly supposed to knit up. (I'm not a tight knitter so what the hell is up with THAT? I guess my mileage does vary)

This yarn is dirty. Well, not dirty. But it has these weird dried dark flecks of something in it. And when I knit it turns lengths of the yarn a blue/ purple/ dingy grey color. My money is on dried dye that wasn't properly rinsed out. I've never had this happen before. I'm hoping it washes out.

pinkyarn2

There is currently no progress on the blue sock. But you knew that, didn't you? I did change the Brittany needles out so that I could use them on the pink socks.




I can hear you asking me why I did that, since I don't love these needles. Actually, they're better with this yarn than with the opal.



I did buy some new needles. They're called ChiaoGoo. I was all set to fall in love with them.



They're bamboo, with nice pointy points. And a really nice gloss of the shaft and tip (heeeee).



Of course there was a problem. See the writing on the needle? It's been lasered into the wood. Which was snagging the cotton in my yarn. And also? Making me crazy. Of which I do not need help. I'll try these with the opal. After I sand them down a little.



I nearly forgot about this yarn. I bought it when I bought the artyarn and the Chiaogoo needles and then piled other yarn on top of it. It's purple!



This came in the mail for me yesterday:



Pirate bag!

My stepmom knitted and felted it for me. Of course this was promised to me around Christmas. Damn knitters, they always take forever... ahem.

To be honest, I think this bag has been done for a few months, as my stepmom is a monster speed knitter. I also think she's STILL pissed off at me for not flying her out here in February when I sent my dad a ticket to come visit me for the weekend. It came to me thrown in a box, not de-fuzzed, and no note. Soooo. Hmmmph. Still pissed. Whatever. Maybe I'll use it as a demonstration on how I get the fuzz off felt.

K. Going to knit on the pink sock. Yay!

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger lap said...

What's the tiger's name? Can the tiger be your permanent sock model? Because oh, how I love the tiger!!

I would think that toe up socks would be the best anyway. Just turn the cool striped socks into arm or leg warmers for some of your super cute hipster girlfriends that you might get some trade out of or something.

I should be knitting something right now, but I am trying to actually get a new job instead. Silly me, I should just clean my house and get the fucking sewing machine out and be creative already. I mean, it's not like I didn't find that Elvis fabric for a reason.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

The socks look fabulous, and the Wildfoote looks divine. I'm not passing judgment or anything, but the skull tote I made was totally done in time for Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home