Yarn Whore

because all the other good names were taken

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

details...details....

For LAP:

The pattern was BETTY from Knitty.com's "Sex and the Knitty" issue. Without going over there and checking I think it was the summer issue from 2005.

I knit this with Cascade Fixation on size 5 (U.S.) addi turbos (my favorite needles, btw). It was knit straight (not in the round). I had to fiddle with the pattern a little bit to get the correct stitch count and gauge. I also cheated and went to the fabric store and bought the trim, rather than making the ruffle, because seriously, who has time for that?

It was also my first time doing yarn overs. I had to rip it back twice before I got the hang of the YO's. If there's a way to fix a fucked up YO I haven't stumbled upon it as of yet.

I'm a self taught knitter for the most part (my grandma taught me when I was 10, but I stopped pretty soon after that and didn't pick it up again for 20+ years) so a lot of what I do is trial and error.

Which leads me to a question:

How long have you been knitting and who taught you?

Answers in my comments, please!

2 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger lap said...

I've been knitting for about a year exactly. I learned from a book. My first way of casting on was really complex, and then I learned the effortless cast-on from Stitch and Bitch, which has some of the clearest picture directions ever.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

When I was 9 or 10, my grandma bought be needles, yarn, and a book, but didn't show me how to knit. I stuffed it all in my closet, only to be surprised that it was still there 20 years later (and the yarn was such a scratchy acrylic).

For many years, I actually told people I could crochet, only because I sat down once and made a 20' long single crochet chain that my mom may or may not have in the "Xmas Tree Decorations" box in the attic.

In 1999, I was donating blood (everyone should) and one of the clinic workers who was phlebotting me was a neighbor from when I was 5 years old. She was knitting squares for Christmas afghans (it was, of course, autumn, which skewed my sense of how long holiday projects take). She taught knitting for many years before working at the blood donation center...but she didn't have time for teaching anymore (now I know that it was because she was trying to make 3 afghans in 2 months).

So that day, I went to Half Price Books and found Kids Knitting, by Melanie Falick (hehe, Falick). I got a pair of size 8 needles, a skein of Red Heart, and went home. It took me about 3 weeks of reading and rereading the instructions, and when I finally did knit a swatch I still wasn't sure if it all looked the same as the illustrations, but I immediately made a scarf. In February, I made an Aran Sweater. It's been downhill with that addiction ever since, with a brief hiatus when I adopted Packet.

Oh, so to answer your question, 6.5 years and self-taught.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home